Wiring the Porsche LS3, perhaps the most daunting of tasks was not to be taken lightly.
Wiring the engine with the GM performance universal wiring harness was very painless and simple, with each connector properly labeled.
However getting the GM electronics to talk to the Porsche electronics was a task in itself. To bring life to the factory Porsche LS3 gauges and other chassis powered units and devices, we had to strip down the factory Porsche engine harness and adapt the original sensors to the LS. This process ensured that vital information could be communicated to the car itself as well as the important task of starting the Porsche LS3 with the starter signal and alternator power. Although there are still warning messages as expected, we were able to get full function of the factory gauges, tachometer, water temp. and oil pressure.
There are many items to consider in a Porsche LS3 swap, and the next item to consider is the cooling system. With the fuel system sorted out utilizing a nice set of Holley fuel rails and custom lines, we could begin adapting the Porsche LS3 cooling system. Although the routing of the Porsche LS3 cooling system can seem a bit “complex” it is fairly simple and utilizes most of the stock hard pipes.
We opted for the Renegade Hybrids electric coolant pump and front adapter plate to optimize space constraints. The rear-most hard pipes were replaced with flexible hose supplied with the kit to adapt to the stock remaining Porsche system.
Well, we managed to get the Infiniti G35 LS Swap fired up, ensured everything was comfortable inside the new chassis, and finally got this beast out onto the pavement. We are tuning this car with HP Tuners, a very popular tuning platform for the GM ECU’s. After doing a few pulls and cleaning up our tune, the Infiniti was running like a champ. While constantly viewing the engine parameters, it was time to break in all the mechanical components. The engine compression rings were seated by driving under various loads and rpm ranges. Heavy engine braking is ideal for this, along with gradually increasing acceleration load. After about an hour we headed back to the shop to give everything a thorough once over.
Once we had the car in the air, we checked over all mounting hardware, suspension supports and braces, and ensured no fluid leaks were present. We made sure that the levels were proper after the vehicle’s systems had burped themselves, and that everything was functioning as intended. We did a fresh oil change at this point, and saved a litre of the drained oil to be tested at a later date. After everything was buttoned up, it was back to putting more miles on the car.
After accumulating just over 1000 road driven kilometres on the car, we had no major issues and everything seemed to be settling into the chassis quite nicely. We haven’t fully tuned for power at this time, mainly because we were waiting on the arrival of a smaller supercharger pulley, which will generate significantly more boost. Sometime after the installation we will be starting to tune for power and see what our boosted V8 will produce to the tires.